In July, Americans turn their focus to freedom. Red, white, and blue. Independence. Flags flying. Physical freedom.
It’s the perfect time to also focus on your spiritual freedom. If you’re a Christ-follower, you’re free. You’ve been given an amazing gift that should be celebrated even more than the freedom of a country. Take a look at these verses:
- For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1
- For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Galatians 5:13
- Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. 1 Peter 2:16
- that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. Romans 8:21
- Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery— Galatians 2:4
- But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. Romans 6:22
- and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. Romans 6:18
- and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32
- for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7
- The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; Isaiah 61:1
- Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17
I challenge you to meditate on these verses. Pick some to memorize. Dig into the surrounding context of these verses. (I made it easy for you; the verse links will take you to YouVersion.com.) Thank God for the freedom he has brought to you spiritually – no matter what the condition of your physical body.