Between throwing our swimsuit into the suitcase and printing off our itinerary and road maps, let’s take a minute to pause and make sure we’re packing one of the most important things into our vacation bags…our worship.
Scripture is clear about the role worship plays in the life of a Follower of Christ…in fact, it doesn’t play a role – it’s our actual identity.
And you never leave your identity behind…just because you’re going on vacation doesn’t mean you stop being a mother, or a friend, or a blogger. How those identities play out may look a little different while you’re relaxing and recharging, but they don’t cease to be a part of you. In the same way, our identity as worshippers should travel with us.
In Scripture, John points out that we are to worship God…truly worship Him in spirit and truth. What does that look like as we take to the road for a week of “fun in the sun?” Here are five practical ways you can continue to live out a life of true worship with your family or a group of friends while on vacation.
- Give Him Your Playlist – Dedicate your playlist or the portion for that early morning chunk of the ride to worshipping the Father. If you don’t have a good library of worship music, check with a friend or your pastor for guidance on what to purchase. Or, shoot me an email at alle(at)chasing-eden(dot)com - I love helping friends discover music that fits their personal style while helping them enter the Throne Room. And, after 10 years as a musician and worship leader, I’ve got a pretty good library built up to give some personal recommendations!
- Spend Time with Him – Don’t forget to pack your Bible and any other “tools” you use for your personal time with God. As your body and mind relax and take a break, you’ll find more room in your heart for God to speak extra encouragement and refreshment. If you’re traveling with your family or a group of friends – perhaps you could dedicate a portion of each morning or outing to some group devotional time!
- Create Something – Some of my most intimate times with God come from being an image-bearer of His creativity. Whether that manifests itself in a new song, a piece of art, writing, or any other creative medium doesn’t matter. Dedicate some time on your vacation to create…you could even make a mini-journal or memory jar of your trip!
- Explore Creation – Being in a new physical location (or even exploring a place you’ve never visited in your home town) can uncover some beautiful parks, ocean-views, and mountain-top experiences. Thank Him for His creativity in making this planet our home and capture it in a photo or journal!
- Meet Your Extended Family – If your trip spans over a weekend, take the time to investigate a new church in the area you’re visiting. Meeting with other Believers who you may never see until we’re all called home is an exciting experience as you worship corporately!
What are some other ways you can live out your life as a worshipper even while “on break” from your other responsibilities?